As the theme this month is missionary work, here is a picture of the very good looking hubby when he served honorably in Dallas, TX English and Spanish Speaking
* Invite a couple of return missionaries (or even current missionaries in the ward/branch) in to talk about what life was like on their missions. Let the kids ask as many questions as they like and have the guests bear their testimonies (briefly) of prayer and reading the scriptures daily in another language.
* Have a world map and a bunch of missionary cut out people. For senior sharing time you could do a scripture hunt on references on prayer and scripture study. Each time they find a scripture, they can put up a missionary anywhere in the world they'd like to serve. For junior sharing time, have a list of questions based on prayer, scripture study, missionary work (E.G. 1. Who was the prophet in the Book of Mormon that prayed all the day and night until he received a testimony of Christ? Enos 2. Who was a wicked man who persecuted Christ's church and then miraculously became one of the best missionaries for Christ's church? Paul, Alma the Younger and the sons of Mosiah 3. Why do the prophets tell us so often to read our scriptures? It's important to do!
4. Why do you want to serve a mission? I'd make a list of about 15 questions.... better to be over prepared, but remember you don't have to squeeze everything in!!!)
* Make charts for the kids to decorate and put by their bed to encourage prayer and scripture reading.
* An opening activity could be to have a kid come up and dress up as a missionary (perhaps even just put on a missionary tag). Tell them that they are serving a mission in Greece (shout out to all my fellow greeks!) BUT THEY CAN'T EAT AT ALL OR DRINK on their mission. Ask the kid if that's OK? Does he think he'll be able to make it the two years doing that? No! That's silly! But if one doesn't pray or read his/her scriptures, missionary life would be as hard or harder than not eating or drinking! Then read John 6: 33, 35, 48, 51 (Bread of life scripture)