Ensign, Aug. 2005, 2–6; GP, chapters 8, 10).
Have a large picture of the conference center (possible overhead projection?), make a list of questions based off of President Hinckley's talk and when the kids answer the questions correctly, they can move people into the conference center. See how many people can fit into the conference center.
Questions will of course be age appropriate and scriptures can be used to help.
The auditorium in the Conference Center seats 21,000, and a separate theater in the building seats an additional 850. The building is constructed of granite from the same quarry which provided the granite for the Salt Lake Temple.
Senior Sharing Time questions (Tape a quote for the child to read under their chair) Tell the children that reverence, participation, thoughtfulness and helpfulness gets people to the conference center. Let's see how many people we can get there as a primary! Have one child designated as the person taper to the board. (A possible variation, they could draw stick figures around a picture of the pulpit and organ)
What material were the plates written on? How has the book changed the entire course of your future life?
What was miraculous about the origin of the Book of Mormon? What experiences have you had to know that Joseph Smith is a true prophet?
Quote to help spark ideas:
"While the Book of Mormon speaks with power to the issues that affect our modern society, the great and stirring burden of its message is a testimony, vibrant and true, that Jesus is the Christ, the promised Messiah, He who walked the dusty roads of Palestine healing the sick and teaching the doctrines of salvation; who died upon the cross of Calvary; who on the third day came forth from the tomb, appearing to many. Prior to His final Ascension, He visited the people of this Western Hemisphere, concerning whom He earlier had said, “And other sheep I have, which are not of this fold: them also I must bring, and they shall hear my voice; and there shall be one fold, and one shepherd” (John 10:16)."
“And I exhort you to remember these things; for the time speedily cometh that ye shall know that I lie not, for ye shall see me at the bar of God; and the Lord God will say unto you: Did I not declare my words unto you, which were written by this man, like as one crying from the dead, yea, even as one speaking out of the dust? …
“And God shall show unto you, that that which I have written is true” (Moro. 10:27, 29).
Without reservation I promise you that if each of you will observe this simple program, regardless of how many times you previously may have read the Book of Mormon, there will come into your lives and into your homes an added measure of the Spirit of the Lord, a strengthened resolution to walk in obedience to His commandments, and a stronger testimony of the living reality of the Son of God."
Will you accept this challenge? Will you dedicate yourselves to reading the Book of Mormon this year?
Closing Activity: See how many people you got to the conference center. Praise the children on their teamwork and just plain awesome spirits! As we listen to the words of the Prophet at conference and read our scriptures, may we be filled with the Holy Ghost and know that the Book of Mormon is true and that Jesus lives and is our Saviour. Bear Testimony.
Same Opening Activity
Prayerfully select quotes: I found the following sites to be extremely helpful.
Have Displayed 10 pictures of different Prophets and the Savior
Make 10 quotes of those prophets (in referencing the book of Mormon) and have them so they aren't showing. 1 quote is from the Savior Himself. See if the children can match the quote to the prophet. Make sure to explain a quote is something a person has said. On the quotes there can be hints to help them get to know that prophet better.
1. President Ezra Taft Benson, " How pleased I am to hear of your love for the Book of Mormon. I love it too, and Heavenly Father wants you to continue to learn from the Book of Mormon every day."
2. President Gordon B.Hinkley, "I offer a challenge to members of the Church throughout the world and to our friends everywhere to read or reread the Book of Mormon...regardless of how many times you previously may have read the Book of Mormon, there will come into your lives and into your homes an added measure of the Spirit of the Lord, a strengthened resolution to walk in obedience to His commandments, and a stronger testimony of the living reality of the Son of God."
Hints: He was the first Church President ever to travel to Spain, where in 1996 he broke ground for a temple in Madrid, and to Africa, where he met with thousands of Latter-day Saints in Nigeria, Ghana, Kenya, Zimbabwe, and South Africa. His wife's name was Marjorie and they had 5 children.
3. Joseph Smith: “ The Book of Mormon was the most correct of any book on earth, and the keystone of our religion, and a man would get nearer to God by abiding by its precepts, than by any other book.”
Hints: His first uttered prayer was answered by a visitation by Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ in a grove of trees. He was tarred and feathered, even eventually murdered sealing his testimony with his blood.
4. Jesus Christ, "He [Joseph Smith] has translated the book, even that part which I have commanded him, and as your Lord and your God liveth it is true.” (D&C 17:6.)
Hint: He was God's only begotten. He atoned for our sins in Gethsemane. He was the first to be resurrected.
5. John Taylor, "“Do not trust in yourselves, but study the best books—the Bible and Book of Mormon—and get all the information you can, and then cleave to God and keep yourselves free from corruption and pollution of every kind, and the blessings of the Most High will be with you.”
Hint: Was born in England and late immigrated to Canada. Was wounded in Carthage, with Joseph Smith when he died. Was the third latter day prophet.
6. Joseph F.Smith, "“In relation to reading the Book of Mormon and the Doctrine and Covenants, … no man can be an efficient missionary of this church unless he is familiar with these books. And the more familiar he is with them, the more capable will he be to discharge the duties of his ministry.”
Hint: His father was Hyrum Smith. Helped to build many church historical sites.
7. George Albert Smith, "“It fills my heart with joy to know that every man who will read it [the Book of Mormon] prayerfully, every man who will desire to know whether it be of God or not has the promise, not of Joseph Smith or any living being, but the promise of our Heavenly Father that they shall know of a surety that it is of God. … These two books [the Book of Mormon and the Bible] hand in hand teach us all where we came from, why we are here, where we may go, and they both contain the advice, the loving advice of our Heavenly Father intended to inspire us to do that which will enrich our lives here and prepare us for eternal happiness.”
Hint: Despite fragile health and impaired eyesight, he had a distinguished career as a Church leader. He organized the Church's massive welfare assistance to Europe following World War II. He also championed Scouting among Latter-day Saints
8. Spencer W. Kimball, "“May I tell you of a great adventure? As I traveled to a weekend assignment, I took with me an unusual book which was my constant companion. I could lay it down only to sleep, eat, and change trains. It fascinated me, captivated me, and held me spellbound with its irresistible charm and engaging interest. I have read it many times. As I finished it, I closed the book and sat back, absorbed as I relived its contents. Its pages held me, bound me, and my eyes were riveted to them. I knew the book was factual. … It is the word of God. It is a powerful second witness of Christ. … In the final chapter of the book is the never-failing promise that every person who will read the book with a sincere, prayerful desire to know of its divinity shall have the assurance. … My beloved friends, I give to you the Book of Mormon. May you read it prayerfully, study it carefully, and receive for yourselves the testimony of its divinity.”
Hint: He ran an insurance business.In the 12 years of his presidency, the number of operating temples doubled, the number of missionaries increased by 50 percent, and the priesthood was extended to all worthy male members.
9. Moroni, "And in the mouth of three witnesses shall these things be established; and the testimony of three, and this work, in the which shall be shown forth the power of God and also his word, of which the Father, and the Son, and the Holy Ghost bear record—and all this shall stand as a testimony against the world at the last day. "
Hint: Ether 5:4
10. Isaiah, " And thou shalt be brought down, and shalt speak out of the ground, and thy speech shall be low out of the dust, and thy voice shall be, as of one that hath a familiar spirit, out of the ground, and thy speech shall whisper out of the dust. "
Hint: Isaiah 29:4
11. Mormon, "For behold, this is written for the intent that ye may believe that; and if ye believe that ye will believe this also; and if ye believe this ye will know concerning your fathers, and also the marvelous works which were wrought by the power of God among them. "
Hint: Mormon 7:9