Monday, January 26, 2009

Push Me Pull Me

Image courtesy creative commons license flickr.com by rustman may 2007

I had to go in with our CTR 6 class, about 7 children for 15 minutes unawares that I would have to do so with my 2 year old. I didn't have any pictures, any chalk, paper, crayons, or manuals.... but I did have chairs, bodies and God's love/mercy.

A simple thought came to my mind and we turned it into a wonderful CTR lesson and then family home evening for our 4 and 2 year old.

Song: I'm trying to Be Like Jesus (CS 78-79)
Attention Activity: Pull the girls away from a picture of Christ, on a chair. (Or a pillow would work!) Push them closer to Christ. Ask them what is happening?
Activity: Using the GAK pictures, choose 10 pictures and ask questions as to whether this choice brings us closer or farther away from Jesus. For example, GAK 114 is a picture of Daniel refusing the King's meat and wine. Does drinking alcohol push us to or pull us away from Christ? Ask the children to use their hands to show the action of pulling or pushing. Or have daddy push or pull the girls to also show whether the choice brings us closer or farther away from Jesus.
Scripture: D&C 66: 11 "Keep these sayings, for they are true and faithful; and thou shalt magnify thine office, and push many people to Zion with songs of everlasting joy upon their heads." Explain the word Zion and emphasize PUSH.
Bear Testimony

3 comments :

Liz said...

Do you ahve any talk ideas for primary. My little boy is 4 and just got asked to talk in primary
Liz
lizzers26 (@) gmail (.)com

Some_Area_Gal said...

I love this idea!! It would work great with my 3 and 2 year olds! Thanks so much!

snbjork said...

Thank you, Sofia! I just used this idea for our F.H.E. tonight. My kids are 3 and 5. It was perfect and so fun for all of us. My husband and I got a nice little workout. We let each child sit in a laundry basket and we pushed and pulled them in that. It was so fun and I think the lesson really sunk in with the kids.