Sunday, May 18, 2014

FHE Idea based off of April 2014 General Conference Talk "Let's Not Take the Wrong Way" By Elder Claudio D. Zivic

Delicate Arch Image from NPS.ORG by Neil Herbert
 
HERE is the full talk by Elder Zivic,
all quotes mentioned come from it.
 
Prayer
 
Attention Activity:
Arch challenge!! Is there anyone in the family who can bend backwards into a perfect arch??? Show us!!
(Disclaimer: I cannot be held responsible should your husband break his back in attempting this)
 
Story:
"Several years ago I went to Arches National Park with my wife; our daughter, Evelin; and a family friend. One of the most famous arches there is called Delicate Arch. We decided to walk about 1.5 miles (2 km), climbing the mountain in order to reach the arch.
 
We started off on our pathway with great enthusiasm, but after walking a short stretch, the others needed to rest. Because of my desire to get there, I decided to continue on alone. Without paying attention to the path I ought to take, I followed a man in front of me who seemed to be moving forward with great surety. The pathway became more and more difficult, and I had to jump from one rock to another. Because of the difficulty, I was sure the women in my group would never make it. Suddenly I saw Delicate Arch, but to my great surprise, I saw that it was in an area inaccessible to me.
 
With great frustration, I decided to go back. I waited impatiently until we met up again. My immediate question was “Did you reach Delicate Arch?” They happily told me that they had. They explained that they had followed the signs showing the way, and with care and effort, they had reached their destination.
 
Unfortunately, I had taken the wrong way. What a great lesson I learned that day!"
 
Questions:
"How often do we make a mistake about the right way, letting ourselves be led along by the trends of the world? We need to continually ask ourselves if we are being doers of the words of Jesus Christ."
 
Can anyone think of an example of someone from the scriptures who did or didn't take the right path?
 
Children's Songbook page 160
 
Activity:
Have 2-3 index cards per family member. Bring along a marker and have them share something we need to do in order to stay on the right path. Have them draw an arrow on the index card leading to a nearby spot. Move to that spot. (For example: Someone says read scriptures and study them consistently. Draw an arrow pointing to the kitchen. Go to kitchen. Next persons talks about sharing toys and draws an arrow to the stairs. Go to stairs) Have another family member share something different we need to do to stay on the path. Have them draw an arrow on the index card leading to a nearby spot. Move to that spot. Continue on. At the final spot post a picture of Delicate Arch. How did the women reach the arch? By following the signs! With care and effort!
 
Show a picture of Christ. Heavenly Father, Jesus, and our eternal families are our destination. When we do things that are right, we will reach our destination. Bear testimonies.
 
Scripture Memory Challenge for the Week:
John 14:6 "Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me."
 
Closing Prayer
 
I don't usually do special treats for FHE because in all honesty, I'm just not that awesome.
However, these "arch cupcakes" seem pretty doable. Image from pinterest, no source attributed.

** Just as a side note. We usually try to incorporate as much singing with the little ones as we can. If they talk about something and we can think of a song that supports that idea, then we sing it!**
 

No comments :