Thursday, November 6, 2014

Topical Guide Scripture References Jesus Christ

Christ Retreats to the Mountains at Night by James Tissot
Painted between 1886-1894
(Image courtesy public domain copyright laws)

In last month's General Conference, Elder Boyd K. Packer talked about the Topical Guide.

"Before handing the scriptures to the chaplain, I opened the Topical Guide and showed him one subject: 18 pages, very fine print, single-spaced, listing references to the subject of “Jesus Christ.” It is one of the most comprehensive compilations of scriptural references on the subject of the Savior that has ever been assembled in the history of the world—a testimony from the Old and New Testaments, the Book of Mormon, the Doctrine and Covenants, and the Pearl of Great Price.
      “However you follow these references,” I told him, “side to side, up and down, book to book, subject after subject—you will find that they are a consistent, harmonious witness to the divinity of the mission of the Lord Jesus Christ—His birth, His life, His teachings, His Crucifixion, His Resurrection, and His Atonement.” (The Reason for Our Hope)
 
A while ago I finished Jesus the Christ, by James E. Talmage. I admit, it took me a lot of time to get past the first few chapters. The vocabulary, the tone... I mean no disrespect to the book, but the only thing that got me through the first bit was reading in an English accent. Because honestly, everything is better with an English accent. Once I established myself within the pages I grew to sincerely love the book and cherish the new information gleaned from it.
 
I realize I have a long way to go before I fully understand who Jesus Christ is. I do know that He lives and that I love Him.
 
After pondering the words of Elder Packer, I realized I've never taken the time to fully go through the Topical Guide in regards to references of Jesus Christ. A lot of that has to do with size!!! It's just so small!! Also, for me personally, I do best when I can check off what I've read so I don't lose track of where I am.
 
As I was making the Topical Guide References bigger and in a format where I could highlight the ones I've read, I had multiple impressions that what I was doing was dumb and pointless. It weighed me down heavily. After all, the PDF ends up being 18 pages!! I hate wasting paper. Even now typing, I have this sensation that I've wasted my time.
 
But I know very clearly that there are opposing forces out there.
 
There was one category "Jesus, the Anointed" that had no references, but since it was listed, I put it in. It says to reference Jesus Christ, Messiah in the topical guide... and all those scriptures are listed.
 
I want to know my Savior better, so I'm going to look up all the scripture references. I will print them and put them in a small folder. I know that my life will be blessed. Hopefully this can bless your life too!
 
HERE is the link for the PDF.

1 comment :

Krista Payne said...

Thank you for sharing this. I think I'll try to read these too.