Tuesday, January 24, 2017

Book Review: The Mark of the King by Joceyln Green

I receive free books from Bethany House Publishing in turn for writing reviews.
All opinions are my own.
 
 
This book came at just the perfect time for me. We've been having snow storm after snow storm, and it was nice to cozy up under a blanket and fade away!
 
First off, I loved the cover. It was simple, elegant, and caught my attention.
 
The Mark of the King is a historical fiction novel that will grab you right off the bat. Julianne Chevalier is a midwife in France who is very good at what she does, yet she is young. She is confident and careful, but something happens one day that will alter her path dramatically.
 
She finds herself heading to New Orleans among supposed, less desirable company. It's nothing like she imagined once she arrives, and on her shoulder she carries something that sets her apart from the rest. Something that if other's know about could ruin her life, yet again.
 
Will she be able to survive this new place? Will she be able to keep to her values and do what she loves? Will she find someone to share in her hope?
 
The story was excellent. I thought the characters could have been more developed. I liked them, but I didn't love them. I learned a ton of new information and the book had me looking up more and more about New Orleans. I would definitely recommend reading this book because it's clean. There are a few moments where women are treated severely, but the author Jocelyn Green writes with a dignified voice. Nothing crude or explicit. And that, for me right there, is such a breath of fresh air!!
 
I'd also recommend reading the book if you like stories that promote faith. This is definitely a Christian book with scriptures quoted, singing the tune that even though we have trials, we can have help from above.
 
On a 5 star scale, I'd give it a 3.5.

No comments :