Monday, July 7, 2008

July 2008 Sharing Time Living the gospel standards helps me be a missionary now.



July 20, 2008 Sharing Time

Living the gospel standards helps me be a missionary now.



Opening Activity: Invite a child up to the front of the room and ask them to show you what to do in an earthquake. (They need to get under a chair and cover their head) Ask another one to come up and tell us what to do if you catch on fire. (Stop, Drop and Roll) Ask one more child to come up and have them show you what to do if someone asks about the gospel. (Let them be creative, but in case someone is stumped… perhaps handing out a Book of Mormon, saying a prayer, motioning them to follow you as in coming to church)



Read D&C 88:80 “ That ye may be prepared in all things when I shall send you again to magnify the calling whereunto I have called you, and the mission with which I have commissioned you.”
POINT: It is extremely important to know what to do in an emergency AND it’s extremely important to know what to do to be a good missionary!



Sharing Time Lesson: On the board have the words, beginner, getting there/intermediate, expert. Have little markers in between. Explain to the kids that just like in an emergency, we’ve got to do some training to do today to make sure we know how to be good missionaries! Have 2 neon orange vests or some other simple training type gear for the kids to put on when they come to the front. They will pick a gospel standard strips from a cup and have to show us/demonstrate how to do this. (For senior primary, I’d let them be creative but for junior some actions are included) As they demonstrate and answer some questions, a star or missionary marker representing the primary will be moved slowly up the beginner/expert path. Make sure the primary does the actions of those demonstrating.



This is my format for the following: Gospel Standard (ACTION) Question



I will follow Heavenly Father's plan for me. (Point to eyes and then a picture of Jesus, walk in place…. We look to His example and follow Him!) How does knowing we are children of God make you feel? How do you think it’d make someone else feel?



I will remember my baptismal covenant and listen to the Holy Ghost. (Pinch your nose, pretend to hold breath then point to ears and heart) How can the Holy Ghost help me to be a good missionary?



I will choose the right. I know I can repent when I make a mistake. (Hold up hand and point to ring finger where we’d wear a CTR ring.) Do you think it’s OK to make a mistake? Why?



I will be honest with Heavenly Father, others, and myself. (Point to lips, point to heaven, point to others and point to self) What would happen if you told a lot of lies? Would a person believe you if you told them the church was true?



I will use the names of Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ reverently. I will not swear or use crude words. (Fold arms, alternate touching mouth with each hand then putting them back into folded position) Tell them about a recent commercial I saw about Secret Deodorant! Deodorant! And the whole idea was that you should use that deodorant in moments when you’d sweat a lot. Only in the advertisement they use the Lord’s name in vain. (Not nicely, not with respect) How do you think that commercial makes Heavenly Father feel?



I will do those things on the Sabbath that will help me feel close to Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ. (Hold up 7 fingers and wave them up and down 7 times) How does keeping the Sabbath make us different from others? If you don’t play sports on Sunday and someone asked you why, how could you be a good missionary?



I will honor my parents and do my part to strengthen my family. ( Make muscles with your arms and a big hug motion) Can we be missionaries in our own families? Remember, even if our parents are members and brothers and sisters… we have cousins! We have neighbors and close friends that are a lot like family. We should always help everyone.



I will keep my mind and body sacred and pure, and I will not partake of things that are harmful to me. (Pretend like you are eating, rub tummy and smile) If someone offered you drugs or alcohol, what would you say? Why is this important?



I will dress modestly to show respect for Heavenly Father and myself. (Smooth out clothes along arms, tummy, legs) How does dress affect us being missionaries? **As a tidbit, remember though that you can’t judge a book by it’s cover. While WE need to dress properly, some investigators (People interested in the church) might not. We’re not to judge them, but love them. They’ll learn why it’s important, but no matter what we need to share.



I will only read and watch things that are pleasing to Heavenly Father. (Make a book with hands, point to eyes, point straight ahead and make a thumbs up) How could watching a good TV program or reading a good book help us as a missionary?



I will only listen to music that is pleasing to Heavenly Father. (Pretend to put on headphones, turn on the radio and groove to music… reverently :) ) Why do you think on a person’s mission generally they aren’t allowed to listen to any music other than church music and classical music? What are some of your favorite songs? How does music bring us closer to the Savior?



I will seek good friends and treat others kindly. (Pat neighbor on the back and shake their hand) Why would people want to join our church if they came and nobody was nice to them? They wouldn’t! What are other ways we can show visitors at church kindness? Is it possible to be kind to a person and have them wonder where we learned how to be so nice? Could we tell people where we learn how to be so nice? Home and church! Could we invite friends to FHE and church?



I will live now to be worthy to go to the temple and do my part to have an eternal family. ( Make a house with your hands, then draw a circle… because it goes on forever) What do you think the inside of the temple is like? If someone asked you about death, what would you say?

Closing: Congratulate the primary for becoming experts! Now they know what to do to become wonderful missionaries! Live the gospel standards! Since they are all so smart, they get a certificate of completion on their training and their own gospel standard poster. Invite 2 or 3 kids to demonstrate what we can do to be great missionaries (based on the actions we did). Bear testimony that Living the Gospel standards is knowledge that is just as important as knowledge in what to do in an earthquake or fire! Living the gospel standards helps me be a missionary now!

(pardon my crookedness... I'm still getting the hang of using a scanner)

** Along with the certificate of completion I’m also going to issue a challenge to see if anyone can memorize D&C 4 by the end of August for a special treat. (The special treat will be asking them where they want to serve their mission one day and getting them a Book of Mormon in that language)

No comments :