Thursday, February 19, 2009

My 4 year old is giving a talk....

Sister Memmott was wondering if I had any suggestions for a 4 year old giving a talk. (Hope your son's experience was a good one!!)

Personally, I think that most children are fully capable by age 4 of "writing" their own talks. You give them the topic and guide them with questions. Write down what they say, and voila... a masterpiece. It doesn't have to be long in length!!!

My daughter wrote this herself and she is 4 years old. I was a little skeptical about one part, but who am I to edit, and she's right... the service she gave me helps our family to be eternal. Also, her 2 year old sister Maria learned the talk and enjoyed practicing. I think in the video you can hear her repeating parts!

" Families can be together forever. You need to be nice and kind. You can help your sister up if she falls down and if mommy has a baby, what do you do? You give her the garbage can when she barfs. These things make your family happy. I love Jesus. I worship Him. Families can be forever if you give hugs and kisses and follow Jesus. In the name of Jesus Christ, Amen."
- Christina Naomi

We spent the entire week practicing so she could have it memorized, 5 minutes each night. We made it fun and had a pretend pulpit with stuffed animals listening. I put pictures to her words so it was easier to learn. It looks like she is reading, but she isn't. She's just associated the words with the pictures. We also said many prayers that she would have the spirit with her as she gave her talk and that in doing so we'd all come closer to Christ. She did a wonderful job and I know it's not just because I'm partial. I really could feel the spirit as she spoke. I made sure to ask her what she felt after church. When we review early on with our children we make it easier for them to recognize what the spirit feels like.

7 comments :

Sondra said...

Beautiful! Wow!! She did a great job - writing her own talk - awesome! (I loved get mom a garbage can so she can barf..LOL)
You are such a wonderful Mom and I totally love your site!

AnJ. said...

This is a perfect example of how a primary talk should be.

I have been Primary for years and so many times, kids have very long and elaborate talks or choose to read a story from the Friend. Not that those are bad things but the kids who are listening, focus better when there is something to look at and the talk is simple.

I'm impressed that she had it memorized. I don't see that very often in our ward.

She did great! And so did her mom!
btw I love your site. Thanks for all your hard work.

Katie said...

Such great insights (loved the part about helping them identify the Spirit after their talk)--I think it's so important to have children write their own talks. So many parents forget that primary talks should be meaningful to *children* (not a rendition of an adult's ideas). Really appreciate your efforts on this site!

April said...

What a great job; thank you for sharing and reminding us that a little child can lead them. I cannot wait for our next talk!

Sofia's Primary Ideas said...

Sister Sondra- Thank you! I try to be the best mother I can be! I find though I'm just extremely blessed, my children are exceptional in every single way. I always knew Heavenly Father and Jesus live... my whole life! But once my children were born I could see heaven and feel it in every fiber of my body.
Sister AnJ- You are right on the mark! I think what you say would work well for adult talks also. :) Thanks for sharing!
Sister Katie- Such wisdom! Thanks for sharing! You worded it perfectly- meaningful to children!

Sister April- Such a beautiful scripture! I hope your next child's talk is a wonderful experience!

Cari said...

I loved this! It's exactly what a Primary talk should be. (Not reading a long story from the Friend!) I'm glad I came across this -- I just remembered my four year old has a talk tomorrow! I guess she won't be memorizing it but I'm going to take your approach and have her write it. Thanks for sharing this!

Shel and Aaron said...

What a cute mom you are. I can tell you and your daughter have a very strong testimony. Thank you for the ideas!