I'm sorry if the previous picture posted offended anyone.
Monthly Theme: When We Choose the Right, We Are Blessed
Monthly Scripture: "If ye do keep his commandments he doth bless you and prosper you"
Did you notice this quote for the month in the sharing time outline from Elder Boyd K. Packer: Children can learn through fun activities and movement and still maintain an attitude of reverence. "Reverence . . . does not equate with absolute silence" (Boyd K. Packer, "Reverence Invites Revelation," Ensign, Nov. 1991, 22). Fabulous!
Week 1 Noah was blessed for choosing the right.
*Animal Charades!! In a brown paper sack have little pieces of paper with different animals for the children to come and act out. Also, you can have questions or scriptures having to do with the story of Noah on the pieces too. Call on someone who is raising their hand to guess what the animal is and answer that question or read that scripture.
* To introduce who you are talking about, lay on the ground and have the primary children guess what you are doing. You are "resting". Did they know that the name NOAH means rest?? Do you think that Noah actually got a lot of rest taking care of the animals and building the ark? Heavenly Father has a great sense of humor!!
* A random poem, by yours truly, feel free to use not sell- I'd give it as a handout with some cool rainbow cupcakes!
Good or bad, we have the choice-
like Noah, long ago...
We can listen and obey,
quick to do, not slow!
Before the rain, his faith was strong-
He built the ship, like told.
He was blessed,
he chose the right!
We too can be so bold!
* 5 clues! Have a primary friend come up front and give "up to" 5 clues about their favorite animal. Once the animal is guessed, ask a question or read a scripture about the story of Noah. At the end of the lesson have these 5 clues:
1. It's something you do.
2. You can do this like Noah.
3. Heavenly Father knew we might not do this, so Jesus was sent to make an atonement.
4. If you do this you will be blessed.
5. It rhymes with moose da night.
CHOOSE THE RIGHT!
Week 2 Jesus's disciples were blessed by choosing the right.
* “It is not enough merely to speak of Jesus Christ or proclaim that we are His disciples. It is not enough to surround ourselves with symbols of our religion. Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessings of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. . . . Ours is not a secondhand religion. We cannot receive the blessings of the gospel merely by observing the good that others do.” , “The Way of the Disciple,” Ensign, May 2009, 76–77
Have a basket of different sports items: baseball, basketball, tennis racket, swimming goggles... etc. Have an example of disciples from the scriptures attached to the items. Let 1 member of each class, come up and choose a sports item. Let them discuss in their groups that story and then take turns up front saying how the disciples were blessed.
We also are Christ's disciples. We have the choice! End by singing a song about choices and on the chorus doing an action of their favorite sport!
* HERE is a link to the Friend with a Nephite Disciple quiz. It'd be great for Senior Primary. Make sure to scroll down!!
* "My advice to you is that we must create ways of living that help us with our spiritual housecleaning—ongoing and continual processes that draw us closer to the Lord our Savior so that we can be numbered among His disciples." Elder L. Tom Perry, The Friend Sept. 2003
Have a mop, gloves, an empty spray bottle and roll of paper towels. Let the children pass these like "hot potatoes" REVERENTLY to the person next to them while you sing songs about choices. When the piano stops, those friends holding cleaning items need to stand. Have about 6-8 names of different disciples of Christ. For each round, name a disciple and the friends standing can say something they know about that disciple... if they need help, they can call on another friend of course! Always ask how that disciple was blessed by choosing the right.
And another simple piece of advice... mean business too! If there are friends goofing off, give a warning and then if they still make a bad choice, they need to sit with another leader somewhere else in the room. We all have choices and our choices have consequences!! Go by the spirit!!
* HERE is a link to The Friend with a disciples crossword puzzle. Again, scroll down!
* Name that disciple!! Dress up (simply!) a few friends as different disciples of Christ. You could have little paragraphs for the disciples to read or you could just read. Once the primary has guessed who the disciple is, ask that disciple how they were blessed by choosing the right.
Week 3 Nephi was blessed for choosing the right.
* I forgot!! Have little brown bags with strips of paper with fill in the blank sentences. I am so forgetful I even forgot where I put the bags!!! Have the children look around the room and find the bags then fill in the blanks.....
1. Nephi was commanded to go and get the _______________ from Laban. (plates of brass)
2. Laban was a very _______________ man who didn't mind killing or stealing. (wicked, horrible, evil!!)
3. The first time Nephi and his brothers went to get the plates ____________________________ happened. (they cast lots, Laman went and asked and was almost killed by Laban)
4. The second time Nephi and his brothers went to get the plates ___________________________
happened. (they offered up all their possessions, Laban stole from them and then tried to kill them)
5. Even after Nephi's brothers ______________ him (beat), he returned and said _________________________ (I will go, I will do!!). He found Laban drunk on the ground and cut off his _____________, went to get the plates and chose the right!!
You come up with the rest!! I would do at least 4 different stories from the life of Nephi, with 5 things you forgot for each story. At the end of each story ask how Nephi was blessed because of his obedience.
* HERE is a link to a fun idea from The Friend. You take the cardboard cutouts, add some seashells and make a diorama of when Nephi builds the ship.
* HERE is a link to The Friend where there are finger puppets of Nephi's family and a liahona dot to dot! You could even make the dot to dot as large as possible and say you have a mystery item that could help a person choose the right. To find out what it is, we'll earn points for questions you answer and scriptures you read about how Nephi chose the right. When the children do so, they can earn 5 or 10 points and then connect that many dots on the drawing.
* Put 40 pieces of masking tape on the ground from one wall to another. Space them because you can dress up a primary friend as Nephi, have questions about his life and how he chose the right, then move him along the path (each piece of masking tape being a space) to the promised land. Have a picture of North and South America as the promised land with a sign at the end of the path. Let other primary children roll a dice and move Nephi that many masking tapes/spaces as they answer questions correctly.
Week 4 Church members today are blessed for choosing the right.
* Primary Friend Interviews! Let the children choose a friend and interview them. Have a white piece of paper where they can draw a picture of the person they are interviewing. Then they write down the person's answers to the following questions-
What is a time in your life you chose the right?
How were you blessed?Younger children of course will need help!! Have teachers close by!! And enlist your primary pianist to help too!! She doesn't always have to sit behind the piano!At the end, have a couple friends share with the entire primary what they learned about another!
* Invite a couple guests from your ward to share special/interesting experiences where they made a good choice and were blessed!
* Have children self reflect and make an acrostic poem (use the letters in TODAY to name blessings- for example T for teachers who love me) like the one below and draw a picture of one of their blessings or doing something to choose the right in the box! Little ones of course will need help writing and you might want to have them think of names of people they love to try to match the TODAY letters.
* HERE is a great story from The Friend about a little boy who made a good choice and bought an ice cream for his teacher. He was blessed with happiness for his act of charity. After you briefly retell or read the story to the primary, have a large paper ice cream cone on the board with about 10 scoops. On each scoop come up with a different scenario for the children to come up front and choose.
For example- Timmy loves family home evening, but his little brother always squirms around and has a hard time listening. What could Timmy do to make a good choice and help his brother at FHE? How will Timmy be blessed?
When the Primary children answer put the scoop on the cone and build a super tall treat!
At the end, remind the children that Wade made a good choice and blessed Mr. Nolan's life, but his own life too! Challenge the children to make a choice this week where blessings will follow!