Thursday, September 18, 2008

Wouldn't it be lovely?

(Stunning Image by Meena Kadri, in regards to her own picture she says, "These children live in the slum at Manek Chowk. I watched the older one helping the youngsters do their homework while stuck in traffic on my scooter. I stopped and spent a while with their family who live in a low lean-to shelter on the edge of the street. Warm people." I found this on Flickr.com)

I was thinking to myself recently about Primary Activity Days. Wouldn't it be nice to have an after school homework party?

We could invite the Young Men and Young Womens. Have different tables set up- math, spelling, reading etc., everyone working together to help out on school work. Healthy snacks could be readily available to boost those brain muscles- broccoli and ranch, carrots, celery. Delicious juice!

Then as children finish homework, they could work on real homework. Activities that will bring them closer to Heavenly Father. Puzzles, worksheets, games, art, writing missionary letters, reading in pairs the scriptures...

I love the scriptures. Love them. Love them!

I came across John 4:31-34. It was deeply profound to me.
" In the mean while his disciples prayed him, saying, Master, eat.
But he said unto them, I have meat to eat that ye know not of.
Therefore said the disciples one to another, Hath any man brought him ought to eat?
Jesus saith unto them, My meat is to do the will of him that sent me, and to finish his work."

What a powerful and perfect God we worship. His glory is evidenced by the divine example of His Son, Jesus Christ. Do we understand the importance of the Father's work? Are we doing everything we can to do the will of Him on high?

I was also struck by my readings in the Doctrine and Covenants. The phrase "I have chosen" that our Savior often says stood out to me. Whenever we played soccer in elementary school, I was usually chosen first if not the team captain. (I say this not to brag- because believe me, I was not world cup material!) However, I always felt this big responsibility to score big or work hard to make sure everyone got the ball since I was chosen at the beginning. Our Elder Brother, our Redeemer has chosen us to care and teach His little ones. I share this because it truly is a humbling thought. And when we are humble we're ripe for the whisperings of the spirit.

So, this post is a little scattered. Sorry. But I pray that God will bless you and keep you. I don't know you, but I really do love you.

No comments :