Monday, December 13, 2010

Week 3-Jesus Christ will return to the earth someday. LDS Primary Sharing Time Reader's Theater

Sun over Earth image courtesy creative commons license flickr.com by NASA'S Marshall Flight Space Center Oct. 2003


Copyright: You may use this for private non-commercial purposes. If you try to sell this or say you wrote it, when I hit the lotto miraculously (seeing as I don't buy tickets) I will not take you to enjoy poy and pineapple turnovers in Hawaii. And they are the bomb. Yes. I said the bomb. Because there is more to the 90's than just Seattle Grunge. There has to be. There. Has. To. Be.

Tips for a successful reader's theater experience:
1. PRAY. PRAY every single day and ask for the Holy Ghost to be present.
2. Know your readers. A good rule of thumb is most children under 7 aren't fluent readers. Choose who you give certain parts to carefully!!! Readers come to the front of the Primary to read and simply act out the script.
3. ADAPT FOR JR. PRIMARY!!!! I would give little strips of paper to each child of what I wanted them to read. I would have a script for myself of course and be the narrator/director. I would have all characters sit in their chairs except for the one's needed at the moment and then switch out.
4. Make it a fun and positive experience. Don't go overboard and keep things simple, especially costumes!!! Use your manners and thank children for their help.
5. Involve as many children possible!!!
6. End with YOUR TESTIMONY. If there is time ask the children to share what they liked about the activity or what they've learned or to compliment someone they liked in the reader's theater.

When Will He Come Again?
A Reader's Theater
by Sofia Lykes

Speaking Parts
Peter                   Friend #1, 2, 3
Angel                  Samuel the Lamanite
Clock                 Calendar
D&C
Nephi

Non-Speaking Parts
3 Apostles

** Italicized words ARE NOT TO BE READ. They are directions to do. Also, the pianist can reverently play I wonder when He comes again as actors move from their seats to the front.

Simple costumes :White sheets for the friends and angel, paper headbands with a picture of a D&C, clock and calendar, etc. You can always have bushes too!! Children make great bushes by holding leaves!! Also other children who can't read can hold up pictures of things being talked about like Nephi, Samuel the Lamanite, a picture of the Savior coming again....

Peter: (to apostles) That was amazing! It has been 40 days since Jesus was resurrected and here we are on the Mount of Olives being taught by Him. Him who once was dead and is alive again!!! And now He must leave us.

(Apostles and Peter look up into the sky and an angel comes)

Angel: “Ye men of Galilee, why stand ye gazing up into heaven? this same Jesus, which is taken up from you into heaven, shall so come in like manner as ye have seen him go” Acts 1:11

Clock: Hi. I'm a clock. I know about the time Peter and the apostles saw the resurrected Lord return to heaven... Because I'm a clock and I know my time. I can tell you lots of other times too where we learn Jesus Christ will return to the earth someday. Meet my friend Doctrine and Covenants.

D&C: Hello. Yes, you may think books of scripture can't talk, but you'd be absolutely WRONG!

Nephi: I'm Nephi and I wrote down in the Book of Mormon "Wherefore, I said unto you, feast upon the words of Christ; for behold, the words of Christ will tell you all things what ye should do." 2 Nephi 32:3

D&C: So as you can see, the scriptures do talk to us and tell us all things what we should do. Now, onward ever onward. Our friend the clock knows all about time. I was written a little over 100 years ago. I am not in the Book of Mormon or in the Bible because I'm my very own book. I talk a lot about the time that Jesus will come to earth again. One of my favorite scriptures talks about how when Jesus comes to earth again, He will cleanse the earth. Nephi, would you be a dear and help me read.

Nephi: Why of course my friend! D&C 101:25 "And also that of element shall melt with fervent heat; and all things shall become new, that my knowledge and glory may dwell upon all the earth."

D&C: We know when Noah lived, Heavenly Father cleansed the earth by water. The 2nd time around it will be by fire.

Clock: That sounds pretty scary.

Nephi: Oh no no no! You don't need to be scared! (gives clock a hug) I wrote down what Jesus told me. Turning to 1 Nephi 22:22 , "And the righteous need not fear." Pretty simple and very much true!

Clock: I better do my best to make good choices then! Another time having to do with Jesus returning to the earth is called the Millennium. Let's say it together... Millennium. It will be 1,000 years long and comes after Jesus has judged everyone.

(Friends are pretending to be a part of the Millennium)

Friend #1: I'm so happy!

Friend #2: I am too! The Millennium is so peaceful and everyone is working together under the reign of our glorious King Jesus!

Friend #3: I'm so grateful He has come to earth again to rule and reign in righteousness. But speaking of work, let's get back to the temple!

Friend #2: You're right, we've only got 1,000 years to make sure everyone who is supposed to be sealed is sealed!!

Friend #3: Families are forever thanks to the life and mercy of our Savior. This millennium is the best!! It's like Disneyland but only a gazillion billion trillion times better!!!

Clock: It's kind of a hard word to say, Millennium. Can you say it for me? (The Primary says, Millennium)
Thanks! Millennium! Another time I know about is the First Resurrection. It started with Jesus as the very first person resurrected and will continue when He comes again. Some other people besides Jesus have been resurrected. Samuel the Lamanite told us so.

Samuel: I "testify that there were many saints who should arise from the dead, and should appear unto many..." (3 Nephi 23:9)

Calendar: Clock, there is so much to know about the time that Jesus will return to earth. I am a calendar and also know a lot about time, but for some reason, I can't find the date our Savior will come.

Clock: My dear calendar.... I don't know the exact time the Savior will come. No one does, except for Heavenly Father and Jesus!!

Calendar: (sigh) I was hoping to mark it down so I could be prepared. I guess I'll just have to read my scriptures and watch for the signs the prophets have spoken about.

Nephi: Yes, search my words!

Samuel: And my words too!

D&C: Don't forget me and all Joseph Smith has written down! Heavenly Father will give us signs to help us know when Jesus comes again!!

Clock: Smart idea!! We all should read our scriptures and do the same. I know I will try my best to live righteously so that when the earth is cleansed, the Millennium begins and the time finally comes when I can be resurrected... that I can fall down at the feet of Jesus and say thank you. I know my Savior lives and that He will come again!!

All: We know that Jesus Christ will return to the earth someday!!

No comments :